Thursday, August 6, 2009

Handkerchief Quilt


I am currently working on a commissioned, antique handkerchief quilt. My client didn't mind if the handkerchiefs were cut, so here's my block idea. I'm calling it, "Crossing Time". I am using my very favorite method of applique, the button-hole technique.


Instructions for making this quilt will be online within the next few weeks!




I also have a second block, based on the same method of cutting. Sort of. Instead of cutting the handkerchiefs into quarters half-way through the hanky, I also cut each hanky into quarters, diagonnally. This newly cut, handkerchief corner is centered onto the edge of the background and appliqued into place. A sample is shown below, but a block photo will follow when the instructions are released. As you can see, when cut half-way, it creates a "cross" effect. When cut diagonally, it creates an "x" effect.



10 comments:

  1. That is going to be a beautful quilt.

    How many blocks will be in it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least 30. I haven't decided yet whether to set it on-point or not. I am going to sash it, though, with cornerstones. She gave me specific colors to use: Pink, purple, green, yellow, blue. It'll have a sort of rainbow effect... reminds me of a quilt I made using friendship stars we collected on the forum several years ago. I called it, "A Rainbow of Friends". I have a picture of it somewhere. http://quiltingpassion.com/quilts/handkerchief/rainbowsashingforstars.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty but unless you are going to quilt in the white space in the middle of each block perhaps the hankies parts could be closer together. so there is not so much white space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Yes, I am going to quilt in the white space and only the blocks with smaller handkerchiefs have a lot of white space. Most go within 1/2" os so of one another. It's always harder when they aren't all a standard size!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is going to be gorgeous Terry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever. I was wondering how to utilize my collection by making a quilt and this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Laurene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have pictures of the finished quilt? I would like to make something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ruth, the quilt is not yet finished, but as soon as I begin assembling it, I'll post photos. Right now, I'm out of state awaiting open-heart surgery, so my quilting life is on hold for now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wondering how things are going with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations & best of blessings with the new surgery. Hope all is good & I love the quilt ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting!